Today’s snack includes two delicious recipes.
Sweet Potato Crackers and Hummus
I saw the sweet potato cracker idea and just had to try it. I adjusted the original recipe found here by substituting whole wheat flour and also adjusting the cooking time a bit. The crackers come out a bit like pita chips and I thought they would go perfectly with some homemade hummus.
Here is the how-to:
Sweet Potato Crackers
What you’ll need:
- large sweet potato (1 cup of sweet potato puree)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cook sweet potato. (I roasted it in the oven for about 45 minutes but I have also steamed it, which it quicker)
- Peel off the skin of the potato and process in a blender or food processor until smooth
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl
- Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl and sift dry ingredients in. ( I used a metal strainer to sift)
- Mix on Medium speed for about 1-2 minutes, until combined
- Add 1 cup of sweet potato puree and continue to mix until combined
- Turn out onto floured surface. Dividing dough in half or thirds will make it more manageable.
- Roll out very thin. The original recipe says as thin as possible.
- Use a small cookie cutter and cut the dough out.
- Place cut-outs onto parchment-lined baking sheets
- Cook for 8-9 minutes, flip and continue cooking for another 8 minutes*
- Cool & Enjoy
*Cooking time may vary depending on your oven. I would watch the first batch carefully so they don’t over-cook. The original recipe cooked theirs for 18-22 minutes and i found that to be way too much.
What you’ll need:
- 1 16oz can chickpeas/ garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup of liquid from the can
- 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped & crushed
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1. Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can
2. Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor
3. Blend for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is smooth
4. Dip & Enjoy!
I added chives to mine as shown in the picture. This is a recipe for classis hummus, but you can add any of your favorites to it.