Ok, so im pretty proud of these because I kind of just did these on a whim and made them up as I went, with what I had in my kitchen and they came out sooo good! I suppose they aren’t the healthiest snack, more of a treat-snack but I could think of a lot worse things that are less healthy and more processed out there.
So, here it is…
Today’s homemade snack recipe is Trail Mix Pops.
Here is what you’ll need:
- 2 cups Cheerios or the like
- 1 cup puffed cereal- I used Kashi 7 grain puffed
- 2/3 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 T flax-seed meal
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/3 cup of almond butter or natural peanut butter- I mixed the two
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Coat the inside of a bowl with cooking spray
- Add both cereals, sunflower seeds, craisins, flax-seed meal, and cinnamon
- In a small sauce pan or in the microwave heat up the honey, brown rice syrup, nut butter, and vanilla
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until combined
- Let cool a bit until you feel comfortable handling the mixture
- Run hands under warm water and flick off excess
- Take about 1/4 cup of the mixture into your hands and squeeze around a pop stick (I would have used popsicle sticks but only had regular pop sticks)
- Squeeze until you have formed a tight ball around the stick and place on parchment paper to cool and set
- Re-rinse hands and repeat until finished. I was able to make 20 pops but they weren’t all perfectly uniform in size
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes or until fully cooled; Enjoy!
Note: You could use 2/3 cup of either honey or brown rice syrup if you don’t have both. You can also improvise with what you have around your house, like other seeds, nuts, cereal, or chocolate chips.